Anna's Neighbor Academy is a program designed for neighbors to learn more about the City and develop their leadership skills over ten weeks. Each cohort will include neighbors who are either new to civic engagement or have been actively volunteering in their neighborhood or with the City. This ten-session academy takes neighbors “behind the scenes” of City operations, programs, and initiatives. At the end of the program, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion, receive Anna Neighbor Academy Alumni status, and be officially recognized before the Anna City Council. To take learning into action, participants will complete a community service project at the end of the program.
Applications have closed for the class of 2021.
The Neighbor Academy is generally open to any Anna neighbor who wants to learn and be more engaged with their community.
- Must be an Anna resident
- Must not be running for political office during the course of the academy
- Must be 18 or older - youth aged 16-17 may attend if accompanied by an adult enrolled in the current academy
Class size is limited based on space availability and to encourage participants to interact with each other and with instructors.
The When & Where
The 2021 academy will run Thursday evenings between September 9 and November 9. We will meet at different locations depending on the session and topic, but most meetings will be at the current City Hall.
- Every Thursday from 6:30 – 8:00 pm
- Graduation will occur on November 9
- Neighbors who complete the program will be recognized by Council at the Tuesday, November 9 City Council Meeting
View the Neighbor Academy Schedule (PDF).
The purpose of the program is to inform, inspire, and empower neighbors to civically engage with the City of Anna, Council, and the greater Anna community.
- Provide hands-on experiences with special civic engagement activities
- Inspire regular leadership habits
Sign up online through the Neighbor Academy application.
- Applications can also be printed and mailed to City of Anna P.O. Box 776 Anna, Texas 75409 or returned to the front desk of City Hall at 111 N. Powell Parkway
- Applications are due by Friday, August 27th by close of business