The City Manager is appointed by the City Council and is the Chief Executive Officer of the City.
The primary responsibilities of the City Manager include:
- Providing administrative and professional support to the City Council
- Implementing the policies and ordinances adopted by the City Council
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the City government including overseeing an annual budget of $12.1 million general fund, $38.5 million community investment program (CIP), $1.8 million debt service fund, $10.5 million utility fund.
- Communicating the City's vision and mission to all employees and providing leadership in the administration of the City's programs and services in the execution of the adopted strategic plan, providing for accountability to the City Council and the community
- Providing the Annual Budget Proposal to the City Council
- The Manager's staff also provides administrative and professional support and oversight to the City's Economic Development Corporation and Community Development Corporation.
About the City Manager
Mr. Proce comes to Anna with over 3 decades of experience in city management working in high growth environments, with a strong background in planning and development, economic development, construction management, public works, utilities, emergency management and preparedness, parks, permitting, municipal innovation and more. His vast experiences in each of these areas will be an amazing asset to our great City, as Anna is on the verge of explosive growth and postured for a great future as the Premier City in Collin County.
Jim is an International City Management Association (ICMA) Credentialed Manager, (being one of 1,400 internationally), an American Public Works Association (APWA) Public Works Leadership Fellow, has numerous certifications from the FEMA Emergency Management Institute. He has been an APWA Accreditation Site Evaluator, having led multiple agency accreditation efforts for agencies he has served, inclusive of development, public works and parks & recreation departments.
Prior to coming to Anna, Jim had previously worked as an independent municipal consultant, a Director of Business Development and Strategy for a national civil engineering firm, where he had been working on development and engineering projects in Texas and Florida, and a consultant for a municipal audit firm. He has previously served as an assistant city manager in Texas, a public works director in Texas and Florida, a transportation manager, and a vice-president of a regional water control district. He started his career in engineering and public works, working his way through most every position in the profession.
Jim currently serves ICMA on the Awards Review Committee and the Managers in Transition Task Force. He serves the North Central Texas APWA Board of Directors as the President.
Jim is an adjunct instructor for the Certified Public Managers program at Texas State University and is the 2016 APWA Top Ten Public Works Leader Award winner and the 2011 APWA Community Involvement Award winner.
Jim has previously served APWA on the National Leadership and Management Committee, where he has published many articles on local government issues, co-authored the APWA Public Works Administration Operations Manual and co-authored "Management Recipes for Success."
Jim has served several committees for the North Central Texas Council of Governments, serving the Public Works Council, the Public Works Emergency Response Team and the Regional Emergency Preparedness Advisory Committee. Additionally, he has served nationally on the FEMA Interdisciplinary Collaboration Working Group for the National Advisory Council.
He is a graduate of the Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government, Senior Executives of State & Local Government Program and has an MBA from the University of Central Florida in Orlando, Florida and a BS from Rollins College in Winter Park, Florida.
Jim currently resides in Anna, Texas, with his wife, Irene, and 2 children, Gabriela, a civil engineer in Dallas and Joseph, a recent graduate from the University of North Texas, currently volunteering his expertise in a local government setting.
Jim can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.