Driving Safety Course
You may request to have your citation dismissed by successfully completing a driving safety course or a motorcycle operator training course. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO REQUEST DSC, YOU MUST REQUEST IT ON OR BEFORE YOUR APPEARANCE DATE, OR THAT RIGHT WILL BE LOST. The court must have a written request for you. In order to be granted DSC, the following requirements need to be met first:
DO NOT TAKE A DRIVING SAFETY COURSE WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING PERMISSION FROM THE COURT.
To Be Eligible:
- Make your request on or before the appearance date on your citation in writing by certified mail.
- You must have and show proof of a valid Texas driver’s license or permit.
- You must have and show proof of financial responsibility or vehicle liability insurance in your name or with you listed as a driver.
- You must enter a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest).
- You must pay all court costs and an administration fee with a check, money order or cash (only in person) when you request this option. If you choose to go online to www.trafficpayment.com to pay, you MUST first turn in all DSC paperwork to the court. Pay $144 ($169 for school zone offenses occurring on or after 1/1/2020 which includes court costs and administrative fees.
- You must NOT have completed a driving safety course within the past 12 months preceding the date of the current citation. You will have to sign an affidavit affirming you have not taken the course in the past 12 months preceding.
- You must NOT have been cited for speeding 25 mph over the posted speed limit.
- You will need to obtain a certified copy of your driving record from Texas Department of Public Safety at $10 per copy. (It is your responsibility to obtain this copy and turn it in by the end of your 90 days.)
- Driving Safety Course is NOT AN OPTION if you hold a Commercial Drivers License (CDL)
For the Driver’s Safety Course, we will need:
- Copy of driver’s license
- Copy of insurance
- Paperwork filled out
- $144 or $169 for speeding violations in school zones
- You can email paperwork to: Ngarcia@annatexas.gov or fax to 972-924-3325.
Driver’s Safety Course Affidavit (PDF) -MUST BE NOTARIZED